20+ Stunning Facts That Will Make You Doubt Everything You Knew Before
Did you know that cholesterol helps the brain to learn and remember new information? Or that the adult brain is still capable of creating new neurons? So let’s help it and feed on new cool information. A nice bonus for humanity is that our memory capacity is considered almost unlimited.
We adore finding something new and sharing it with you!
- Initially, all embryos are girls. All human males or females begin their development from the same starting point. That is, all the genital organs of the fetus are the same and are phenotypically female.
- About quadrillion tons of diamonds are hidden inside of our planet.
- ATM inventor John Shepard-Barron wanted to enter a 6-digit PIN, but his wife could only remember 4 digits.
- High-heeled shoes were the first to try on men. With their help, it was more convenient for the Persian cavalrymen to place their legs in stirrups.
- Since January 1, 2021, the use of sunscreens with oxybenzone and octinoxate in the composition will be officially banned in the Hawaiian Islands, since these substances damage corals.
- The characteristic sound of the lightsaber from Star Wars was created by Ben Burtt by combining the sound of a working movie projector and the noise that an old TV makes.
- In 1984, a laser pistol was developed in the USSR for the self-defense of astronauts.
- The main source of oxygen on Earth is the ocean. Phytoplankton and algae produce more than half of all oxygen in the atmosphere.
- The slow loris is the only primate currently known that can kill a person with their poison.
- There are more bacteria on the weights in the gym than in the toilet.
- More people were affected by the attack of cows than by shark attacks.
- Kepel fruits can be used as a deodorant. Its pleasant aroma, somewhat similar to violet, lasts long on the skin and is even able to change the smell of human feces. Residents of Java use a cap as a contraceptive.
- The very first horror film, “The Devil’s Castle”, was released on December 24, 1896, in Paris. According to the plot, Mephistopheles intimidated the unfortunate visitors of the castle. The main roles were played by the director of the film, Georges Méliès, and his wife, Jeanne D’Alsi.
- And did you also think that the most common color in the Universe is dark blue? So, no! Beige. Astronomers gave this shade the name “cosmic latte.”
- A penguin can jump 155 cm in height.
- Flamingo’s feathers turn pink-orange due to the same substance that makes carrots orange – carotenoid.
- The Statue of Liberty is a Frenchwoman. France presented it to America as a sign of the friendship of peoples during the years of the American Revolution. The sculpturer used his mother as a model for the statue.
- The most expensive gem is a red diamond worth $ 1,000,000 per carat. There are less than 30 of them in the world now. The most expensive of them, the famous 5.11 ct Moussaieff Red Diamond, was purchased in 2011 for $8 million.
- There’s the head of Darth Vader from Star Wars on the Washington Cathedral.
- The sounds of cold and hot water pouring from a tap are not the same. You can listen here.
- The University of Edinburgh has the Department of Parapsychology that is named after Arthur Köstler. Everything that is connected with mysticism is studied and taught on it.
- In fact, the color of the leaves on the trees is the real one when we see it in the fall. Chlorophyll, which turns the leaf green, is destroyed and the true color of the leaf becomes visible.
- It’s hard to believe, but people with blue eyes appeared on our planet later than the pottery craft appeared. The gene responsible for the light shade of the eyes appeared 10 thousand years ago, and the first ceramic figurine was made about 29-25 thousand years BC. e.
- Oranda is an artificially bred fish with an unusual growth on its head.